Friday, September 28, 2012

Kelloggs #tweetshop Article

Thought this was interesting - I read this article on Ad Age's website about Kelloggs trying to monetize positive social chatter for their brand.  Since the clients I deal with are always trying to figure out new ways to maximize their social exposure, I thought I would share: 

http://adage.com/article/global-news/london-kellogg-s-swaps-snacks-tweets-tweetshop/237448/?utm_source=digital_email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=adage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWSRRLFPCYk

Basically, Kelloggs set up a pop-up shop in the UK and when users tweet #tweetshop they will get a free sample of Kelloggs Special K Cracker Crisps at the pop-up shop.  I think it is a good idea as it will certainly give them buzz socially, but I wonder what the actual return on investment will be as that would be harder to track. 

Kelloggs is definitely touting that they are the first one to do this type of execution, but companies like American Express and Four Square have been monetizing 'points' or 'check-ins' to give consumers items for free, so I guess I don't see this as that different. 

I also found it interesting that the article touts the consumer as having the power in the social space, following the whole Facebook IPO debacle.  If consumers feel empowered, it will be interesting to see how that will play out in the next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment