Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Are Twitter’s Sports Trolls Out of Control?

http://mashable.com/2012/11/09/twitter-sports-trolls/

I really get being a passionate sports fan. I’ve been a die-hard Detroit Lions supporter for decades, which more than anything proves my immense tolerance for pain. And here’s the point: there has rarely been a professional sports franchise with more failure than the Lions, yet after a loss, I would never threaten a player, coach, or their family members, even in jest.

So the thought of idiots (aka sports trolls) lobbying death threats at a player, demonstrates to me that Twitter accounts need to be suspended or terminated for offenses like this. I guess the line wouldn’t really be crossed until if and when a nut actually acted out on a Twitter threat (let’s hope that doesn’t happen!). And it would be hard to institute liability on a social media platform but its conceivable under certain circs.

What’s equally interesting to me is how this could affect Twitter’s ability to earn revenue in the larger sense. However, if Twitter starts monitoring content, I think the backlash could be far greater than the numbers who (may) eventually start migrating b/c they are tired of the sports trolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment