Monday, November 26, 2012

the end of the smartphone era?

source: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-end-of-the-smartphone-era-is-coming-2012-11?goback=.nmp_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1

The article sourced above talks about the potential for digital glasses to take over the current wingman position enjoyed by smartphones. Not that I 100% agree with the author's take on what the future will look like (I much prefer The Jetsons and flying cars that fold into briefcases myself), but it is definitely worth stepping back and reflecting on the rate of technological progress that we have witnessed in recent years. I mean seriously, who could have known that smartphones would take over as the dominant means of communication and information exchange just a couple of years ago?

If nothing else, as a culture we are definitely becoming more comfortable with the idea of artificial intelligence & fluid hands-free access to information--a la Apple's Siri & Android's Iris. Now, if we could all look this fashionable (see below), maybe the author is right and glasses will be IN at some season in the future.

DVF Google Glasses 


Now for the tough question: IF digital glasses do become mainstream, what does that mean for the traditional digital marketing strategies & tactics that are currently being studied/employed/refined by marketers (which for the most part rely heavily on viewable screen space)? 

2 comments:

  1. Figures: I only just got my first smartphone a month ago, and now it's obsolete.

    In all seriousness, Siri seems pretty useless to me so far, so I'm guessing I'll get a year or two of use out of my iPhone 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's simply evolution. Certainly emerging technologies affect HOW messages are delivered, but the core aspects of marketing persist: target markets, value propositions, positionings etc etc. Marketing is not simply advertising per se, so thinking of how ads are served on these glasses is not a useful exercise. Think of how google monetized search; I am sure there are teams of people there cooking up how the models will evolve.

    ReplyDelete