Thursday, October 25, 2012

Does a Public “Find My iPhone” Search Violate Personal Privacy?

An article by David Pogue on Scientific American goes on to describe how he used the "Find My iPhone" app and crowdsourcing with twitter to have police track down the thief of his iPhone. The interesting bit about the article is the negative responses he received from people pointing out the potential privacy violations that he committed against the thief. 

"It is possible, Soghoian says, that I violated some kind of state harassment or stalking statute. For the most part, however, both the legal and ethical ramifications of my crowdsourced phone quest are nothing but murk. "

I wonder if utilizing geo data from a marketing perspective also has ramifications that we haven't considered as a society as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment