Saturday, October 20, 2012

Drobo: [costly] peace of mind

An almost endless source of anxiety for me is that of losing part or parcel of my digital existence. My computer --and I know many of you will relate to this-- is the warehouse of so much of my life: photos, writings, videos, resarched documents, excel spreadsheets. The loss of these, ANY or all, is a fear of mine that I've taken measures to mitigate (dropbox this... cloud that) but I can't say with confidence that it's all backed up.

The NYtimes article below asks "Hold up your right hand, look this page straight in the eye, and answer truthfully: At this moment, is your computer completely backed up?" Then, it continues: "Did you answer “yes?” Congratulations, you statistical freak. Skip to the next article." So, statistically, I belong to the majority. The same anxious majority.

A company called Drobo has been working to address my anxiety by adapting RAID ("Redundant Array of Independent Disk," a technology that corporations use to backup their data) for the common-person.

Prices range from $650-$850. While the prospect of having total peace of mind of the existential certitude of my digital life is appealing, I'm not sure I'd pay $700.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/technology/personaltech/drobo-offers-raid-array-systems-to-back-up-top-heavy-files-review.html?ref=technology

No comments:

Post a Comment