Friday, October 26, 2012

Padmapper and Craigslist's decision to (finally) innovate

Any time someone tells me that they are looking for an apartment (a notoriously grueling task in the big city) I tell them about PadMapper and gush "It's Kayak meets Craigslist meets Google Maps for apartment hunting."

I used it to move twice last year (in less than 6 months, oof) and even before we were actually able to sign a lease I was browsing neighborhoods to get a sense of what was available for the price range we were thinking.  So by the time it came to actually go and look at apartments I had an idea of what to expect.  I not only used this site for research but ultimately found both apartments through the site.  The first a random sublet, the second our current place.  It was amazing to be able to see the exact intersection that the listing was one.  So basic and so critical.  It allows you to answer the question "exactly how long is that walk to the subway going to take in the freezing cold / pouring rain."  This had always been the less fun guessing game with Craigslist.  So when I found that padmapper incorporated Craigslist listings along with other sites like EasyStreet, sayonara Craigslist.  The only times I ended up back there was when linked through Padmapper.

So I thought I'd google to see if there were any articles about PadMapper in the news recently and this came up: Craigslist finally forced to innovate as competition edges in and the article reminded me that in the 7 years I've been using the site and even before then it really hasn't changed very much.  It looks very similar and the only change I've noticed over the years is the addition of new cities.  However, aparently the entrance of websites like my beloved padmapper and other niche competitors like Air BnB are pushing Craigslist to innovate.  They've rolled out in test cities a mapping feature, Map View, for listings and it looks like they are looking to do more, as the article says:
"In one job listing, the company said it was looking for engineers to make the site merely "faster, friendlier and easier," but also "develop new products and features that will have CL users swooning."
After over a decade of looking the same, I wonder what other new features Craiglist will role out...a map feature is just catch up with what is readily available, but will they eventually create an interface that's more intuitive and easier on the eyes?

No comments:

Post a Comment